Monday, November 12, 2007

Christmas Gifts this Year


Just a note to my friends and family. (saves a mass e-mail blitz campaign)

Just to let you know, this year when it comes to Christmas gifts, Sam and I are going to be doing some things differently. I'm sick of giving over my cash to Wal-mart & big box stores buying gifts for people which they may or may not need. The commercial holiday shopping spree has run its course in my mind, and I don't wish to feed into it any more. Nor am I a scrooge who hates the holidays, but I do hate what the holidays have become... a compulsive shopping fest.

Instead for this year, I am taking the money we would spend on gifts for people and making donations (on behalf of those I love) to Doctors Without Borders charity foundation. I figure the kids of the Sudan or the 3rd world can use the money for medicine and anti-retroviral drugs, and this seems more in the true spirit of giving for the holidays.

So this year, you won't be getting a physical gift from us. Instead you'll be getting a letter from this charity stating that we made a cash donation (in your names) to make a difference in this world. If you were trying to figure out what we want for Christmas, please feel free to do the same. I would rather you give the money to a good cause rather than to somebody's 4th quarter retail profits. I'm sick of the mega-corporations of this world (retail & consumer goods) reaping all the benefits of the holidays.

Lets all give a gift that really counts this Christmas,
Lets take back the holidays, and revive the spirit of giving.
Cullen & Sam

No comments: